- go to the storage closet and choose an appropriately-sized suitcase/travel bag,
- pack my own suitcase without bothering any other living person for help or input,
- do extra laundry for my packing and for my husband during my absence,
- make my own travel arrangements,
- cook extra food to tide over man and cat during my absence,
but when my husband goes out of town for a couple of days, he
- keeps changing his mind about the suitcase he wants and moves his stuff from bag to bag, getting more and more frustrated and thus behaving more and more testily to his long-suffering wife,
- cannot seem to make decisions about the clothing and sundries he needs to take and actually packs summer pants despite overwhelming evidence that the current month is, in fact, January, and moreover, his destination is a ski resort,
- sends his aforementioned long-suffering wife (LSW) running up and down the stairs multiple times to launder piles of clothes that he hasn't worn for years, but nonetheless thinks he would like to pack...only to ultimately change his mind about including them,
- gets irritable when gently reminded that he is going away for two days and two nights, and not two weeks, and should perhaps consider revising his packing accordingly,
- refuses to place any trust in the fact that all hotels in North America supply their guests with such basics as towels, shampoo, conditioner and soap, and demands that his LSW locate travel-sized shampoos and conditioners for him, which he then rejects as being of inferior quality,
- does not even know the name of the hotel that his buddies have booked so that his LSW can look it up on the Internet to find out whether he will regret it if he doesn't bring gym clothes,
- happily borrows his LSW's roll-on deodorant and tube of body lotion, but spurns her travel-sized tube of Sensodyne toothpaste on grounds too nonsensical to mention here?
The drama is far from over, as he is not leaving until tomorrow, and I'm sure he will come up with half a dozen new ways to torment his LSW until then.
My theory is that he doesn't really want to go. He's quite a homebody at heart. But he's going to have a great time and will ultimately be glad he went. I already really miss him!