I apologize for being gone from LJ for so long. I don't know why, but December/January are always low-energy times of the year for me. All I want to do is hide and drink red wine and eat chocolate and avoid humanity. That last part, as you may imagine, is quite difficult to pull off. Or rather, it can be done, but then everyone is somehow left thinking that there's something wrong with me. It's a fine balance, I tell ya.
It's now January 06th here on Canada's West Coast, and I believe I have almost recovered from December and adjusted to the fact that I have to remember to write 2013 on everything that requires a date now. The way the years fly by is kind of scary. I feel more mortal than usual. My solution to feeling mortal is to seek out red wine and chocolate. Hmmm, I detect a pattern emerging here.
Anyway, here are some random things that are new with me:
1. I went clothes shopping yesterday and realized that all my December excesses have led to a weight gain. Why do all department store dressing rooms have to have such hideous lighting? Bought new clothes anyway. I found a lovely sophisticated and understated knee-length dark gray dress with a draped front and a black faux-leather waistband. I feel very elegant wearing it. I wore it today just to hang out at Starbucks, writing on my laptop. I plan to look elegant and classy as often as possible this year.
2. My husband can't find various important papers of his, so he is employing his usual tactic of claiming that he gave them to me-- in the distant past, of course. As in, five or six years ago, so as to reduce any chance of my recalling any of the details. However, I know I would have refused to take charge of his documents. I learned early in our marriage never to take responsibility for his stuff. Single girls: take note! Make sure your future husbands look after their own important papers. Don't relent even once, or you will be in for a lifetime of blame and unjust accusations.
3. Those of you who read this blog fairly regularly already know that I now have a Kindle and that I am willlingly handing over dollar after dollar of my hard-earned money to the huge corporation that is Amazon, and what's more, liking it. I have become disastrously addicted to clicking that fateful "Buy now with 1-click" button. As a result, I am doing a lot more reading than I used to. I have always been a person who will at least try to comment on videos and blog-posts that I read, but I haven't made a habit of writing serious or balanced reviews that span multiple paragraphs. I think it's because it reminds me of writing book reviews in school, and also because I often have a lot of trouble articulating exactly what I liked or didn't like about a book or a movie. I have no problem zeroing in on one or two points, but the ability to write something balanced and perhaps helpful to other consumers has long eluded me. Anyway I've decided I have to get over that, just like I once got over my rigidly held conviction that I had no sense of direction and that it was my fate to get lost all the time and arrive late for things. Since the early nineties I no longer get lost. Attaching a compass to my key ring helped enormously, but it was more of a mindset-thing. Now I'm belatedly deciding to get over my fear of writing reviews and sounding like an idiot. So look for more book reviews on this site starting soon. Like maybe even this week.
4. I have rediscovered what an excellent sleep-aid Nyquil is! I have to take half doses or it knocks me out for about 12 hours. Who's got time to sleep for 12 hours? If I didn't need to get up and go to work every day, it would probably be rather nice to get that much sleep.
5. A Japanese friend sent me a box of Rummy bars for Christmas. What is Rummy, you say? Why THIS is Rummy. http://napajapan.com/Product.asp?product=199 and it is only the greatest chocolate bar in the entire history of the universe. Except there is a new product, Melty Kiss Rum Raisin chocolate, which is taking on Rummy. http://www.amazon.com/Raisin-Chocolate-Alcohol-Japanese-HA-ICIC/dp/B005107296. She sent me mostly Rummy bars, but one Melty Kiss because it is a new product. Both kinds of bar are SO delicious! Well, maybe not so much if you don't like alcohol, because they're quite, well, 'rummy'. I'm still working my way through them. I have three chocolate bars left. No wonder I gained weight. But how enjoyable it was. *happy sigh* Someday soon I must swear off chocolate for a while and return to drinking black Americanos instead of mochas.
Let me know how you guys are doing. Are you making resolutions? Enjoying Christmas loot? Managing to avoid that nasty cold that's going around? I'm interested to know!